Chances are, you’ve heard of the law of attraction. You may have even studied it deeply, and tried to apply it to your life.
But, if you’re like most people — even though you’re open to the law of attraction, believe in its power, and have tried your darnedest to get it to work for you — you still struggle to apply it successfully.
You may even wonder if it only works for some people. Or, if there’s some secret everyone else knows except for you.
If you’re nodding your head in agreement, don’t worry! You aren’t alone.
Although teachings on this law have become wide-spread and can be found virtually everywhere (including in the self-help aisle of your local bookstore, in magazines, and across the web) many of the teachings are misleading. And it’s not that people are trying to deceive you, in fact, I’d argue most people are well-intentioned when they set out to teach the law of attraction, and how it works.
That said, the vast majority of teachings miss out on one key aspect about HOW this law works… fortunately, this article will dive into all that and more!
But, before we go any further, I want you to know something: You didn’t stumble on this article by accident. You were guided here for a reason. Perhaps the law of attraction hasn’t been working for you as well as it could. Maybe you feel frustrated and are on the verge of giving up on your dreams. Or maybe you’re new to this whole concept and what I’m going to share with you will save you a lot of time and energy as you apply these teachings to your life.
Regardless of why you’re here, or how you ended up on this page, I invite you to take a moment right now to give thanks to the Universe. You asked, and it delivered. I won’t be holding anything back in this article, and it is my sincere hope you find it valuable AND life-changing.
In this article, I’m going to walk you through:
- What the law of attraction is
- What the law of attraction is not
- The one key element missing in popular law of attraction teachings
Ready to dive in? Let’s do this!
What is the Law of Attraction?
The Law of Attraction (also commonly referred to as LOA) is the process of attracting what you want — be it material possessions, opportunities, people, and experiences — into your life.
What the Law of Attraction is Not
The law of attraction is not a “quick fix” solution to manifest instant success, wealth, health or whatever your desires may be.
It’s more complex than simply attuning your energy with the energy of the universe and BAM! Instant wealth, fame, and wishes fulfilled.
The Error in Most Law of Attraction Teachings
According to popular law of attraction teachings, in order to receive what you want, you only need to do 3 things:
- Become conscious of your thought process (are your thoughts uplifting or disempowering?)
- Visualize your desires as being real
- Feel the feelings you would feel if your dreams were to manifest
These 3 suggestions, while good intentioned, miss out on one key aspect of the law of attraction: the transmutation of energy.
You see, the Universe is made up of energy. You are energy. Your dreams are energy. And energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but it can change forms. This means everything you want for your life already exists, and in order to ALIGN with what you want, you have to transmute your energy — spiritually, emotionally, AND physically.
And this transmutation doesn’t happen simply by thinking about what you want, visualizing it, or feeling it. It requires one other key ingredient — the law of inertia.
The law of inertia (also known as Newton’s first law) states “if a body is at rest or moving at a constant speed in a straight line, it will remain at rest or keep moving in a straight line at constant speed unless it is acted upon by a force.“
So what does this mean for you?
In order to bring your desires to life, you need to also activate the law of inertia.
Put simply: once you determine what you want, you have to create conscious movement in your life in the direction of that goal.
Let’s look at an example — perhaps it’s your goal to make $100,000 this year.
You set the goal.
You visualize your life with this financial increase.
You become conscious of your mindset i.e. what thoughts have held you back from financial abundance? What limiting beliefs from childhood do you need to unlearn (such as believing money is the root of all evil)?
You feel yourself being debt free, able to travel freely and no longer burdened by financial concerns. It feels good! You feel good!
But, the process doesn’t end here. After the third step of activating your feelings, you need to activate the law of inertia (aka the law of movement). In this example, you could active this law by doing the following:
- Become conscious of your current spending habits. Money is energy just like everything else. How are you spending money right now? How are you wasting it? In what ways are you unintentionally keeping yourself stuck?
- Track your spending — down to the penny. Do this for 30 days until you are able to identify habits that aren’t serving your goal. Remember, you want to make $100,000 this year. But before you can do that, you have to align yourself with the ENERGY of money and begin using it consciously.
- Put yourself out there. Opportunities are ripe and abundant. Open yourself up to them. There are an unlimited amount of ways to make more money including via freelancing, asking for a raise, selling goods or services… the list goes on and on. How can you open yourself up to more opportunities in your life, thereby telling the law of attraction you’re READY and willing to receive what you asked for?
- Identify your WHY. Why do you want to make $100,000? What does that dollar amount mean to you? Why it is important? How will you spend it? Take a few minutes to work through these questions, and make sure you write down your answers. Doing this will bring you clarity, and send that clarity into the ethos.
- Ask for more. If you’re a full-time salaried employee, freelancer, entrepreneur, or some combination of the three, you’re going to have to get used to negotiating for more. You will never get what you don’t ask for. When was the last time you asked for a raise? Upped your prices?
- Go above and beyond. Whatever industry you’re in, or whatever services you offer, go above and beyond what’s expected of you. Exceed expectations. When you get in the habit of going above and beyond the call of duty, you’ll be AMAZED at how many opportunities land at your doorstep (this represents the transmutation of energy at its finest).
- Faithfully create. Take a moment right now to travel inward, and survey your faith. How much faith do you have in yourself? Your dreams? Your abilities? If your faith is lacking, your desired manifestations will be lacking too. Here’s why: Your beliefs impact everything about your life. From the thoughts you think, to the feelings you feel, to the actions you do AND don’t take. This means, if your faith is lackluster, then your energetic output will be too. You won’t take the actions you need to take to bring your goals to life. And so the law of inertia won’t work in your favor. Remember, the law of attraction is energetic, and it responds to the energy you put out (remember, energy is not just thoughts — it’s ACTIONS too). When you don’t believe in yourself, and your ability to bring your dreams to life, then you won’t. You are a creator who was born to create. What projects and ideas live inside of you? Bring them to life. When you follow the inspired ideas inside of you, even if they make no sense, you’ll be led to opportunities, people, and experiences that will help you reach your goals.
Now that you know about the law of inertia, and how it applies to the law of attraction, think about how you can use it to bring your desires to fruition.